Thursday, September 5, 2019

Reaching Belorussky train station and looking for a McDonald to get the Internet access



It was a huge thing.  My room reservation was in my Yahoo mailbox and I did not have Internet access--even when the Google FI SIM was working fine on roaming and I was able to call Mojahid Mirza using my phone.  There was a McDonalds near Belorussky station, but in order to connect to their WiFi I needed to provide my telephone number--and only Russian telephone numbers, starting with 7 were allowed.  I talked to a young man eating there. He understood my situation and made his phone a hotspot, for me to connect.  I was able to retrieve the information I was looking for: what is the address and how to get there.  This young man also showed me how to take screen shots on the phone--you press 'Power' and 'Enter' button at the same time.  If I had screenshots of this information, I would have been in a much better position.  I thanked the young man.  He left and being bitten by this technology, I spent some time writing down the information in my notebook.  Outside the McDonalds, the rain had become even lighter.  I had the Troika card which I recharged with some money, inside the metro station.  Took Line 5 from Belorussky metro station to Prospect Mira and then from there, Line 6 to reach my destination station.
At my destination station I did not know which direction to go to.  First a young woman in an eatery, and then a young man eager to practice his English helped me in reaching my address--and in between I had a taxi driver who gave me completely wrong advice.  I wonder if he did not know or he was intentionally wanting me to lose hope and ask him to take me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment